So, what's the big deal about grammar and conventions? Think about our discussions in the past week or so. When should you use proper grammar and conventions? When does it not matter as much? Think about the constraints on creative expression we identified. Share your thoughts on "proper grammar."
i love grammar. so in my opinion it always matters! woo grammar!
ReplyDeleteGrammer suks. Eye hait it. Itz vary annoyin. U shuld use propr grammer wen u rite essays. Not so much wen u txt.
ReplyDeleteI txt talk i dont use "proper" grammer
ReplyDeletewho does? tht iz pointless esp when u txt all the time
ReplyDeleteproper grammar is still important when your doing writing assignments or essays, etc. but outside of school or work grammar has gone out the window, nobody really uses the rules of writing while on the internet or texting between friends, or even writing letters (which is rare anymore), because people are lazy and skipping vowels or shortening words is faster and easier.
ReplyDeleteMe 2 Shane txt talk is normal
ReplyDeleteGrammar should be used when you are trying to write formally, but when you are texting or sending and e-mail to your friends I think that it is ok to use incorrect grammar because it is harder when you are trying to write correctly.
ReplyDeletety Paul Som1 agrees w/ me
ReplyDeleteI prefer to use proper grammar. Albeit I tend to forget to use periods, or like everyone I make mistakes. If I had the choice, then yes I would talk and text (when I can actually find my phone) with proper grammar. Texting, I will admit is not as strict when it comes to proper grammar, but its best to practice all of the time so as not to end up like our friend who wrote this crazy spell checker article.
ReplyDeleteelaine. reely? woo grammer? i understand dat propr grammer is gud 2 hav, but its annoyin!
ReplyDeleteI agree with elaine >><
ReplyDeletepropr gramma' is importan' only wen righting a SA oar professional righting. Txt tlk is stills wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy betta den usin' propr' gramma' cuz it be EZ-er 2 right stuffs
ReplyDelete**************>.<
ReplyDeleteI think the only time proper grammar should matter is in formal surroundings and in writing.
ReplyDeleteI think proper grammar makes you sound smarter, especially when you are talking to a teacher, professor, etc. But, grammar really doesn't matter when you are texting, talking with your friends, or family. But even when I text, I like to text in complete sentence and I rarely appreviate, unless I'm in a hurry.
ReplyDeleteI still dont use proper grammer on essays
ReplyDelete@ elaine (happy now???) lol
ReplyDeletei think grammar should be used at the appropriate times. there is no reason to use proper and formal speak when you are talking to your friends. if you want to, then go ahead, but it isn't necessary. it all depends on you audience and purpose. an essay that should be formally written needs proper grammar and conventions.
Grammer has its specific times when it is important and, I don't want to say unimportant, when it's not needed as much. You should use proper grammer when applying for a job or talking to an elder. You also use proper grammer when writing an essay or an important letter to an official. Grammer isn't mandatory when you are talking to peers or family members around your age. You don't need it when writing a friendly letter either.
ReplyDeleteI think proper grammar is important when you are writing, but it natural when speaking well for me at least. As far as texting goes I would rather go outside and catch a snake
ReplyDeleteI think grammer dont matter when you talkin to yo peeps. I guess it may matter, maybe when talkin to someone important when like elaine or Obama
ReplyDeleteSo, what is your definition of grammar? Are you talking about grammar or conventions, in general?
ReplyDeleteLOL that was good Jef
ReplyDeleteso then what is grammar?
ReplyDeletemy definition of grammar included spelling
ReplyDeleteIm talkin bout wat ever you tell us to talk about so i git an A+
ReplyDeleteso I guess I am wrong : /
ReplyDeleteI believe that proper grammar is very important to society as a whole. I don't think that it is useful or the best choice for all types of writing and speech. It should only be used when it is the best choice. I do think that there are other ways are better sometimes. My main point is that proper gramar is essential to communication.
ReplyDeletethank you corey!!! really zach really? improper grammar is just crazy. i hate it. i love conventions because i can spell.
ReplyDeleteGrammer and conventions go together. But only one matters when you are speaking and hearing. Conventions matter when you are writing and people are writing and reading.
ReplyDeleteima tlkin' 'bout convent-shuns, like .,?! and the spellin'
ReplyDeleteproper english is only used for formal things like jpob applications. wee always use informal in school
ReplyDeleteI hate grammer, and almost anything haveing to do with english. Athough I think that You should use proper grammer when doing something important or when you are in a serious situation like court. It really wouldn't matter so much when you are only with friends or when you are doing something idiotic, but it really doesn't matter when you text apparently.
ReplyDeletei use proper grammar to a limit. i don't really like capital i, but the rest of the letters are cool.
ReplyDelete"proper" grammar should be used more in essays and such for school or business. improper grammar can be used in everything else, like poetic prose or poetry.
because poetic prose is awesome.
even though grammar and conventions go 2gether, that doesnt mean theyr fun
ReplyDeletei think that conventions and gramar aint really that important till u is trying to gets a job and thens u gots to be all serious and talk hello mr blah blah i want you to hire me and give me all of your money
ReplyDeletei like never use proper grammar!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI think that it is important to have general rules on writing so that way everyone has a way to understand what you are writing. I don't believe though that the rules have to be so strict. Spelling really doesn't matter, commas and periods really don't matter. It just the sentence form and how you say stuff that matters.
ReplyDeleteI HATE all the time proper conventions. but then again i h8te when ppl Txt like this. its annoying. like just take the time and put some effort into it! stop being lazy! you should use proper grammar and conventions when your writing essays and school work. itd oesnt matter as much when your passing notes or texting.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Ben, we should use propper grammer when you are doing something formal.
ReplyDeleteI think that "proper" grammar is important when your actually talking to anyone in a formal environment or who you have a formal relationship with. If your just talking to your friends, or texting grammar isnt as important. I think the most important thing that makes your grammar unproper is using double negatives.
ReplyDeletein my personal opinon i think that grammar is not very pertinent to society. I think that proper grammar is the social norm for talking in the present not what some geezer said was proper grammar in the past.
ReplyDeleteI like Grammar! When I text I use complete sentences, I don't like to shorten stuff. It's easier to read and write when you wright like you talk. The same is with texting. I have a full QWERTY keyboard, so it is just easier for me not to think about shortening stuff.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Hailey. I do hate wn ppl tlk leik dis wn they txt. It just bugs me
ReplyDeleteYou should use proper grammar around people of importance in a position of authority. People usually don't use proper grammar around peers. Sometimes it is better to use proper grammar like in a speech or presentation. It is also okay to not use proper grammar sometimes. Some authors or poets purposely avoid good grammar.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Hailey! When someone uses all "text language" it kind of makes me not want to talk to them.
ReplyDeletei dont think using no double negatives hurts u to much is just when yall use dem dar double negatives and im proper words to much it makes u seem un edumacated
ReplyDeleteI agree with hailey text language is stupid but acceptable as long as they can understand you.
ReplyDeleteReally will?
ReplyDeleteI also agree with will ( can't believe I said that) proper grammar should be the social norm not what someone 50 years ago that was good. The rules should change like our language.
ReplyDeleteI abbreviate words expecially when you are texting and taking notes. I think grammer is a portion of conventions that doesn't include capitalization and punctuation.
ReplyDeletetaylor what postion of importance are u talking about i think that my friends are much more important the president obama
ReplyDelete@rachel
ReplyDeleteBlargh. I find textspeak annoying. I prefer texting in "proper" sentences unless there's like a character limit.
Plus, my stepsister textspeaks so much that she has begun doing it on her formal essays too.
I think sometimes if you test more than you write you might get stuck in the habit. :/
I AGREEE with will!(: OBAMA STINKS! sorry(:
ReplyDeleteI feel like such a nerd because when I talk, write, or think, I usually use proper grammar. I might add new words I just made up like "wicked awesomeness" or "awesomenessity". But I still usually tend to use correct grammar.
ReplyDeleteWill: I dont like double negatives because i dont even know what you said, you have to break the sentence down to figure out the intended meaning and the literal meaning which just gets really confusing.
ReplyDeletei thinki hamza is right when he e allowed says that u are allowed to abreviate words and from my experiences abbrevations are not proper grammar
ReplyDeleteI agree with Hailey. I mean, sometimes decoding the text lingo and trying to spell in all funky-like takes a lot longer.
ReplyDelete@Karla
ReplyDeleteMaking up words is fun!
Think of fantabulous and swasome!
But technically they may still be counted as a proper word. If more than one person understand the word. It's okay to use.
Well, I read so much that the grammar that they use kind of just became engraved in my head. I don't know the rules but whenever I'm writing I tend to get most of my grammar and conventions right.
ReplyDelete@will
ReplyDeleteI am talking about for job interview and your boss. I agree with what you and Hailey said.
Ya'll realize this is just like the video where they're texting right next to each other. We are all in the same room!
ReplyDeleteback to u leah people dont usually need to think to much because double negatives have been integrated in to every day life
ReplyDeleteI agree with Leah that it doesn't matter if you don't use formal language with your friends.
ReplyDeletedyhotbogd...what does this acronym mean?
ReplyDeletetxt talk is rdable and easy 2 undrstnd so txt talk ftw (for the win)
ReplyDeleteI also agree with leah that it doesnt matter if u use formal language with ur friends
ReplyDeleteokay guys...let's be honest grammar and conventions don't really matter as long as you can communicate what you are trying to say like in the poem you can get your message across.
ReplyDeleteI think that porper grammar is only needed when somone tells you that it is needed. Otherwise, if they can under stand what ever u r saying, u r fine.
ReplyDeletei will agree that i do sometimes use text talk but i dont always. most of the time is how i write. i can easily change it it if i needed to but when it comes to texting its going to your friends, therefore it doesnt really matter in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteI think grammar is more for the professional setting, where people of a high position/teacher/mentor will look down at you if you're using improper grammar. Universities & professors will always be looking for that in your analysis of experiments and observations/reports.
ReplyDeleteFrom the other view, grammar/conventions isn't weighed on as much if you're talking to family/friends/close colleague workers.
At shane: Wow it sad I can read that proving how technologicly based we are. But proper grammer is important and I don't really care much for text slang it feels improper to talk without proper english. Although sometimes I poke fun and say lOl or ROFL when something funny happens.
ReplyDeleteI believe proper english is the way to go since proper english is good to practice and then when you are in the situation where you need to be formal you will not have to be as self concious about what you say since you will already be used to it
When Mrs. Davis said that you can't say that you don't grammar if you like conventions. I HATE ALL OF THAT. It wuodl be ncie to lvie in a wolrd whree ervy oen kenw waht im syanig
ReplyDeleteI agree with Colton...text talk is cold..
ReplyDeletettod (text talk or die) XD
i agree with ben. it only matters when is a proper format (essays, ect)
ReplyDeleteAgreeing with DOM, I think that you dont really need you perfect grammar if if is your personality or "voice" to to use incorrect grammar. Especially when you are with family and friends.
ReplyDeleteeye thnik grmmar shuld olny be uesd if yuore writnig a resaerch paepr.also,like max,i hate when people text in weird ways and abbreviate all of their words when the text.
ReplyDeleteI'm more on the proper grammer side. I abrrieviate things, but thats about it. I'm cool with text talk though. It also doesn't help that my phone automatically fixes grammer mistakes.
ReplyDelete@Ben B. agreed. as long as the rest of us get ur point, its on the same page.
ReplyDelete@will agreed. we all get lil lazy n be usin some slang sumtimes.
@Dominic - why would they look down on you? Does proper grammar reflect your intellect?
ReplyDeleteI think it is important to use good grammar and conventions when you are writing something formal. I also think that there are times when grammar and conventions don't really matter such as texting or writing to a friend.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Tayler, that we should know when to use good grammar and conventions and when it is ok to not use them.
Y mus we yous grammer to konvea idees?
ReplyDeleteGrammer cree8's problms w/ understanding st8ments...
also,like colton,talkin how you want around friends is perfectly fine
ReplyDeleteone of the few things that i dispise is misuse of words. such as how austin used "eye" instead of "i". i just really hate that. i dont mind the capilization nor do i mind spelling (as you can probably tell).
ReplyDeleteleah is right. if you are using double negatives i have no idea wat u r trying to say. if you arnt never not in no way going to do something then technicaly you are gonna do that... or maby u are just trying to get the point across that u dont want to do it
ReplyDeleteMrs.Davis: Yes it does reflect you intellect since it shows you have a good education and that you are intelligent.
ReplyDeleteYou should always use proper grammar and conventions so that you dont have to watch yourself when writing an important document. Its a good habit to have anyways, I don't see the point in ruining that habit with text speak.
ReplyDelete@Mrs Davis - it does. People who either intentionally show this "ignorant side"/or "ghettoness" will be looked down upon since to the higher people, its dirty/lazy language.
ReplyDeleteThe proper time to use proper grammer and conventions is when writting a formal letter or talking to someone higher in position to you in your job. It's not proper when talking to your friends, texting, and writting a letter to your friend.
ReplyDeleteU GOT THAT RIGHT DOM I txt talk so yeah in a way im laze
ReplyDeleteDom: just because someone text talks doesnt mean that they are lazy, it just means that they dont want to take the extra time to place the letters into actual words.
ReplyDeleteIMMA FIRIN MAH LAZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteProper grammer needs to be used when talking to an adult or applying for a job or something. When texting or talking to your friends, grammer is important, but not as much needed or used.
ReplyDeleteProper grammar can be a pain, but it's important because we need to use it in order to understand each other. It's especially important when it's dealing with a business type thing or an essay.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion proper grammer should be used when we talk to people that are our higher ps like The Prez or a politician or even Tom Brady and Kobe Bryant. We should use it with em because it shows respect and that we are not some hick-town hill-billies gawkin at the Big-City folks.We use improper grammer when among-see i did learn something Mrs. Davis-our peers or lower-class people that we want to dis like MJ or Bush. Proper Grammer can be a pain but it also shows we know wat we re talking about and not mentally deficient. SO THEIR SOCIETY!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWE PWN DA MAN!!!!
I meant to say ups where the ps is because i believve in proper grammer so there society
ReplyDeleteOhkayy So Likee . . .
ReplyDeleteProper Grammer Is Pretty Hard To Use Condsidering Thee Fact That We Use Slangg Everydayy Andd Everywheree .
Duringg Business Interviewsz Andd When In Front Of Prefessional Personel, We Shouldd Really Think About Thee Wayy We Talk .
From That, When Speakingg Proper Grammer, We Aree Limited When Tryingg To Show Our Diverse Personalities .
Most Of Thee Timee, Thee Wayy We Speak Isz Who We Aree .
- Blogg Yha Laterr = )