Please post one of your three monster analogy paragraphs here. Remember to reply to this post, not to start a new one. I am looking forward to reading your work! Have a wonderful weekend!
P.S. Don't forget - I need a physical copy (NOT in your Daybook) of all three analogies on Monday.
Baking when I start I don’t want to stop. Baking is my lotus flower. I never want to leave the bliss I get when baking. It is my true passion. I could do it all day every day. I could even sit in front of the oven and admire my handiwork like natives to the lotus. Plus my baking doesn’t taste that bad; it is actually quite good. Taste of the lotus flower and my baking are so similar you would not be able to tell the difference. Baking is my lotus.
ReplyDelete"Mrs. Davis...Mrs. Davis...you know you need some cold, delicious sweetness in your life." For me, ice-cream is a lot like The Odyssey's sirens: tempting and "beautiful" but dangerous. Odysseus' sailors had to brace themselves against the lovely and alluring siren song or face death. Whenever I see or smell or taste just a hint of ice-cream, I am tempted to eat an entire carton. Breyer's mint chocolate chip and homemade banana are especially tempting, and, just like Odysseus' men, I need some "beeswax" to keep myself from pigging out. That "beeswax", in most instances, is my own conscience telling me to watch my calories and not eat too much fat. Most of the time I simply cannot have ice-cream in the house - I block out its "song" completely. Sometimes I do allow myself the luxury of hearing the ice-cream call to me, just as Odysseus did when he was tied to the mast. I am able to take just a bite or two then stop, especially if someone is watching me. But, more often than not, my lack of self-discipline leads to the destruction of my healthy diet, and I am unable to sail past my siren safely, as Odysseus' crew did.
ReplyDeleteLotus-Eaters
ReplyDeleteAs expressed in the first book (The Lightening Thief) of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan, many things can sway your mind from your goals. In his case (and many others') Percy, Annabeth, and Grover were trapped in a Vegas casino, ironically dubbed the Lotus Casino and Resort. There they spent 5 days in there, even though it felt like hours. This same effect comes to real casino-goers, video gamers, and kids watching TV or videos on the Internet. Their minds become oblivious to their surroundings and don't realize the amount of time passing by. In a way, ice cream, swimming, and 80's movies are totally my Lotus Flowers. If I could do that, jeez. The world could just explode and I would be cool with that. I know what I'm doing that on 2012.
I'm qite sure that when Odysseus faced Charybdis, he was terrified. Charybdis was a consuming whirlpool, and this was clear to Odysseus. He wanted to get away as fast as he possibly could, but when they faced each other it was impossible to avoid disaster. The whirlpool only brought destruction to Odysseus. Charybdis is to Odysseus, as procrastination is to me. I always try to run away from procrastination, yet sometimes I run into it. Like Odysseus, I know the monster just keeps me from my destination. Procrastination not olny brings delays, but unnecessary stress and other negative things. Charybdis was simply a horrible thing for Odysseus, just as procrastination is for me. On the bright side, Odysseus managed to live and get past Charybdis. So I can also pass by procrastination and countinue my journey to where ever I may go as well.
ReplyDeleteOne of my biggest monsters is the computer. It's like the sirens from The Odysseus, which are "tempting" and "distracting". When I sit at my desk to start homework, I always find myself on the computer five minutes later. To make maters worse, I stay on it forever. In The Odysseus when you heard the sirens, you would be extremely tempted. Same here. I can hear it calling my name, telling me I need to get on. When I get on the computer, it takes away important time I could use on homework, spending time with my family, and overall just doing something more productive. I think I may need some thicker "beeswax" because I still find myself attached to it.
ReplyDeleteCyclops.
ReplyDeleteThis is a creature who is protective but yet gets tricked easily. Same goes for me (almost). Cyclops cares for his sheep and doesn't want to lose them to anything. It sucks for him when Odysseus tricks him with "my name is Nohbdy." For me, I am making sure my Ipod and phone are with me at all times when I'm out somewhere. Sometimes my friends trick me and I easily fall for it. They either pick pocket my iPod out and hide it behind their backs. So for me, avoiding this "Cyclop Behavior" is being witty and to not be so paranoid about things. I'm not always paranoid, but it comes and goes every now and then.
Sirens
ReplyDeleteA major siren in my life is food :)
Similar to the sirens in the Odyssey, food is a very tempting and luring factor in what I do everyday. No matter where I am, it's always calling my name and I can't ever seem to get it off my mind. The sirens in the Odyssey call and sing to Odysseus and his men by " buttering them up " and to me, that's exactly what food does. It'll just sit there and be like " BreAnna, you know you want me. Don't I look so beautiful and delicious ?! " and I think " Yes, yes you do, you most wonderfully delicious cookie, you! " The sirens in the story are very hard to avoid because of their cleverness. Food is no different. I honestly don't think any " beeswax " will help me in this situation. I always say I'm going to watch what I eat, but instead I watch the food go into my tummy :)
She's subtle; she holds you, keeps you there, until finally puilling yo uin until you can't get out.The internet does the same thing to teenagers. we start by checking an email or post, getting caught in the drifts. the we start browsing or reading up on something, when we'r ebeginning to sink into the waves. eventually we start a cinversation or start watching a movie and look at that! You've been sucked into that sneaky, web-browsing Charybdis.
ReplyDeleteThe monsters that Odysseus encounters on his journey are similar to things in my own life. I can gladly compare my angry mother to Scylla. She is just a monster that you would want to "steer" clear of when she is not in a good mood. Just like how Odysseus and his men tried to go around Scylla but failed. Also, did you notice that neither Odysseus or his men fought back? It was probably cause they knew they were going to lose. Well, you can never win against my Mom either. She will always have the upper hand.
ReplyDeleteFor me, one of the major monsters in my life is my iPhone. My iPhone is kind of like the sirens in The Odyssey. It's always calling for me (hahaa, "calling"). It's basically attached to my hand. It's a monster because of how big of a distraction it is, especially when I'm doing homework or when I'm supposed to be doing something important. What's even worse is that I'm already a procrastinator, so having my phone with me all the time makes it an even more difficult situation. I can try to leave it in my room or just walk away from it, but there's really no point because five minutes later, it's back in my hand. It's like I can't resist. Most of the time though, sometimes I do really try to force myself to put it away by thinking of all the bad things that could happen like getting an F. That usually works. I guess telling myself that is sort of like my "beeswax". Anyways, I am addicted to my iPhone and it is a MONSTER.
ReplyDeleteThe Sirens are like gambling. They lure you in with glamor and sayings of being great or being rich. Afterwards, it takes more and more money out of you pocket like the Sirens convincing you more and more to jump into the sea. Eventually, the Sirens singing can lead you to jump into the sea to you death. Similarly, gambling can lead to a "death" of a sort. You can lose a lot of your money and the respect of you friends and family. Gambling can also make you lose your job, your home, or things you enjoy as a luxury because you don't have money to pay for them.
ReplyDeleteFor Me, the Cyclops equates my parents for me. They have (seemingly) brutal punishments for simple accidents. Like a minor fluctuation in tone when responding to a question. They have complete control over me and my choices. But if I manage to trick them and escape control then there are dire consequences in the near future.
ReplyDeleteI would have to say that music is like the Lotus-eaters. I say this because once I start listening to it I don’t want to so stop, like the Lotus-eater in the Odyssey. All they wanted to do is nothing but look and admire it, which is like me and music. All I want to do is just listen and enjoy the sweet serenity of it. Honestly, music is my drug, as the lotus flower is the drug of the Lotus-eaters.
ReplyDeleteIn my life Scylla isn my step-grandmaw and Charybdis is the pool my brother and I went to when I was 6. My grandpaw and step-grandmaw came up to Ohio from Texas for one week. One day my grandpaw and step-grandmaw let us spend some time with them at the hotel they stayed at and my grandpaw left us alone with our step-grandmaw at the pool. She was ugly adn mean like Scylla. Later after he left I tried swimming in the deep end of the pool, thinking that I could avoid going under, like Odysseus thought he could with Charybdis, but I slipped and started to drown thinking,"This is how it's going to end?" Suddenly My brother dove in the pool trying to save me. With me splashing it was difficult for him too help and we both started to go under. We were dunking each other under trying to get some air, but as I looked up I saw our step-grandmaw just looking at us as if she didn't care for human life like Scylla. Luckily though each time we came up from the water, we edged up to the edge of the pool till we grabed hold of the side, got out, and never looked at her the same away again.
ReplyDeleteSirens
ReplyDeleteIn my life the TV is like a siren. The shows and movies are pretty and I just want to watch and sit on the couch and be lazy. But if I get too distracted I may never see the outside world again. Instead of going to the gym or playing outside I’ll say “But a special episode of Phineus and Ferb is coming on.” And the fun me will die.
Lets, for a moment, compare my mom to a monster. Scylla to be specific, and I would be Odysseus. She snatches men away from Odysseus just as my mom does to my sleep and peace. If Scylla had emotions, I am sure the would be the naggy kind, sorta like a mom, eh? I'm not saying my mom is possessed by Beelzebub. I'm sure she has some love in her, just like I'm sure Scylla feels guilt for eating travelers. Maybe...
ReplyDeleteJohnathan Roach: I could not log onto my blogger account.
ReplyDeleteIn my life, the sirens were like loud and annoying noises. They would not stop talking.A loud and annoying noise in real life such as someone scratching on a chalkboard or a loud screaming child would want me to put earplugs in my ears or make it stop. You can hear these kinds of noises everywhere. If I was with odysseus on his way home and I heard the sirens, I would want to make them be queit.
Monster Analogy for Charybdis
ReplyDeleteCharybdis’ qualities are that she sucks everything around her in, then spits it all back out again, and neither are very good for the people around her. I can in some ways relate that to when I am reading. When I read, I remember most things, and if I read anything scientific, chances are I will be able to quote that whole paragraph. I have read a lot about lots of things, so I remember a lot of things, like Charybdis sucking in the water. Then, when someone has said something that isn’t quite right or is flat out wrong, I will almost immediately make sure they know the correct answer. Some people get annoyed with that. Ask Aaron. I can relate that to Charybdis spitting out what she had sucked in. I know that reading itself isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but annoying people because you spit out what you read is.
Lotus Eaters
ReplyDeleteThey were careless and ignorant of the world around them. The only thing they care about is eating lotus. Sometimes i dont care about my grades(hahaha) or anything. A lot of the time, i dont know whats going on in other places.
Charybdis is like my xbox it slowly sucks me in and slowly submerges me into the spinning maelstrom. While I get closer and closer into the center Everything around me goes away and all I can hear is the sound of the water craching into my ears. As I slowly drown in the abyss known as Charybdis I enjoy the masochistic side of it all harming myself by not doing anything at all to get out of it. Then it happens, I drown and nothing around me can be seen nor heard. The xbox sucks me in and drowns me in a seas of pleasure known as video games.
ReplyDeleteIt draws you in with promises of hours of endless entertainment, and before you can look away you are hooked. My laptop is my lotus flower. It draws me in, and distracts me from my tasks at hand. Like Odysseus' men when they tasted the sweet lotus they never wanted to leave and forgot all about their home in Troy. The lotus seemed innocent as though it could do no harm. I feel the same about my laptop. It seems like such a fantastic tool for educational purposes but it can also be a great distraction. I sit down and start to search the web, play a game, or even type out whats on my mind. Then I lose sight of what I was going to do. Sometimes I have to turn off the laptop to try and focus, but the temptation to go online and get off task is always there lurking.
ReplyDeleteThe leech is like a cyclops bizarre and also has a craving of human flesh and blood. As in the Odyssey the cyclops is extremely tall and only has one eye, which even in that description would look bizarre to see, likewise the leech is also quite bizarre, leeches have extremmmmmmmmmmmmely long teeth and wayyy too many of them as well as its mouth looking like some type of organ :-{. Also like in the Odyssey leechs feed off of many different animals blood and like Polythemus craves the humans he eats, the leechs crave most any blood XP.
ReplyDeleteOh and how leechs come in my life is there was a nasty one I saw the other day. Eck.
ReplyDeleteFor me, when I spend multipla days in a row hanging out with my friend I become like the Lotus- Eaters. At first, its okay, but the more I hang out with my friends the more I forget about other things (like spending time with my family and doing homework), like how when Odysseus's men ate the Lotus flowers they forgot about everything thats important to them. Also, the Lotus Eaters loved the Lotus flowers so much they had to be dragged off the island, I'm like that because when my parents tell me I have to go home, I try to do everything in my power to get to spend more time with my friends.
ReplyDeleteThe sirens r bird-like things but, when they r singing, they appear as beautiful women. That way they lure people to come there. Then they eat the people that come. With lawyers, they seem like a great idea. But, when u c their prices ur thinkin, "Why did I do that?"
ReplyDeleteJust this past week I had an art project in my art class. Not that I'm the greatest artist in the world, but I do enjoy it much more than homework. Everyday when I would get home from school instead of working on my homework or studying, I would work on my project. I see this kind of like the Sirens in the Odyssey. They lured the men passing by in, and sent them to their death. I obviously didn't die from doing a project (or did I?), but I did lose a lot of sleep, and its probably one of the reasons my history test grade wasn't as good as it should have been... Now I need to go put some wax over my ears, so I don't get lured in again, except wax in my ears sounds a little painful, so I'll stick with just putting away the project. (And if anybody did notice, I posted this 29 minutes before it's due)
ReplyDeleteLike the sirens in the Odyssey, my "siren" would have to be music. I enjoy listeneing to music 24/7; I go to sleep, wake up, eat, do my homework, and do practically everything listening to music. It's so easy to listen to music because there a endless amount of songs in the whole wide world for every feeling or emotion you have; I would have to say music is like my therapy. My ipod is very tempting when it is just sitting on my bed, fully charged, waiting for me to listen to something!But when I listen to music, I don't pay attention to things I should or get trapped in this world of amazing music, good lyrics, or phenomenal singing and don't spend time doing more important things. You would probably have to plug my ears with bees wax or tie me up to get me to not listen to music.
ReplyDeleteIn my life the lotus-eaters are like a good book. some of Odysseus' men were lured in by their beaty but when they ate them they didn't wan't to leave. if you find a book that looks interesting you are tempted to read it, then, if it's good, you don't want to stop reading it.
ReplyDeleteI am doing my monster on the Cyclops. The reason I am doing it on the cyclops is becasue my dad is also big, hairy, and mean. In the Odyssey the Cyclops is a big hairy mean beast and he eats Odysseus's men and eats them, my dad eats me as in chewing my butt off when I just play around with my sister. When the Cyclops ate the men they didn't do anything to Polyphemus. So that is why my dad is related to the cylcops in many ways.
ReplyDeleteTo start off, the Lotus-Eaters, the monster who are actually harmless, the item are the killing ones. To me the Lotus-Eaters are like my game boy, it’s harmless and poisonous at the same time. When you don’t eat the lotus you are completely fine, but when you actually eat the lotus you get sucked in and never want to leave. Same with my game boy, it is completely harmless when it on my shelf, not hurting anyone. That is until I actually start playing, I can’t stop and I totally forget what there is in life except more games to play.
ReplyDeleteoff in the distance you hear the most lovely sound. you hear the sirens sitting there tempting you. to me the sirens are a lot like football. the game tantalizes you makes you want to play it. wait, theres one thing it didnt tell you it is one of the most dangerous things you can play. it wants you to come just to harm you. so that is how the sirens relate to my life.
ReplyDeleteyeah, i know this is REALLY late, but regardless, here goes. Helios is like a child. Helios complained to Zeus that Odysseus' men ate his cattle, just a like a little kid would complain to his mom that someone isn't sharing, or took his/her toy. Helios also threatened to stop controlling high noon, which is pouting, just like a little kid would do if they don't get what they want.
ReplyDelete