Thursday, March 17, 2011

First Impressions of Novel

What are your first impressions of the novel you are reading?  Reflect on what you have read so far.  What do you like?  What do you have questions about?  You may refer to your literature circle notes in your post.

Remember to answer thoroughly and thoughtfully.  Be respect and appropriate.  Your blog response will count as a classwork grade. 

64 comments:

  1. I think that the novel is pretty interesting and has a pretty good understanding of the time. I like that they have a very obscure character like death to be the narrator, it makes the book more intersting. I jave just one question, why are we reading a book with so much swearing in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maus is only the second graphic novel that I have read, and I love the different format! It did take me a few pages to get used to following the various speech bubbles, but once I got the hang of it, I really appreciated the style. Having pictures along with the words brings a different perspective to my reading. Instead of picturing characters or settings in my mind, I am able to see what the author had in mind when he wrote the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the 1st chapter, i can tell that it will be interesting. I like the fact that it's a graphic noverl, i believe it contributes to the whole feel of the story. Its like reading a comic book.
    1st chapter - Basicly, Artie is wanting to right about his father's life and stories during the Holocaust. Artie's father tells him of how he met his first wife and had Artie. Lucia was some crazy chick who was obsessed with Artie's father. She tryed to break him and his soon-to-be wife, but failed. They still get married and have a baby and all of that good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh. I am reading the book, The Book Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read "The Book Thief". So far, I really like the book. It's a lot more interesting than you think it would be. It's cool that it's narrated by death and it's almost makes you a little emotional on some parts. Even though, the beginning was I guess was confusing with the colors, I still really enjoyed what I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maus is the first graphic novel that I have ever read, and it is quite interesting. In the beginning all we are doing is getting to know the main characters, the important ones. I like how unique it is from other novels, yet it is quite like the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i havent read a book like this before. it is pretty wierd just the way it is narrated. death is my favorite character, he is kind of funny i guess. so basicaly the girl steels a book, meet a guy named rudy, and learns to read. it is a good book but it is a little confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maus is the first graphic novel I have ever read. It's more interesting than I thought it would be. It's better than a regular novel because it has a picture for almost every line. Since it has more pictures, I do not have to visualize every word in the book. It's also interesting that the book is narrated by a mouse, yet the mice act just like humans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To be honest, I didn't think that I would have any possible interest in reading Maus, simply because it's a graphic novel. I don't like reading comic-type-ish things. Then, I started reading it and I was suprised. It's turning out to be an ohkay book so far. I like how the characters talk and seem so realistic. I just wonder exactly when it will start talking about the holocaust. The pictures were a nice touch, it helps me see the characters' expressions and things. I think I'll read a little more now (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am reading "The Book Thief". I really like that the book is very metaphorical. I have enjoyed reading part 1 of the book. I am hoping that the book will go into more detail about the history of Rosa and Hans because they seem like a very mixmatched couple. I really like how Leisel's best friend is a boy because I think it plays an important role in the story. Even though it is a very long book, it is interesting so it is easy to keep reading. I think that the author did a very good job introducing the importance of all the characters, and I am excited to read the rest of the book

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maus is a very interesting read, it tell of the holocaust in cartoon form. Even though it may look funny, it is really serious. It tells of how mice lived through Kitler, the creator of the Holocaust. I like the book and I enjoy reading it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maus is the first graphic noverl that I have ever read. I like the different format that it has, so it's not boring. It keeps me hooked on. I have gotten to like chapter 4 now, I think. Lucia is a female fatale.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Book Theif is way more interesting than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was goin to be a book about a simple theif who stole books for a thrill and just read them because she had them. It turns out that the only reason that she took her first book was to have it for the memories of her mother and brother. The story is interesting because there is a lot of foreshadowing that builds up suspense on the next topic that will happen in the story. So far, I'm really enjoying this book although I thought that it wouldn't be a good book because the cover of the book made it look like one of those boring lawyer books. I'm happy that I chose "The Book Theif."

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ThePokemonMaster- I think it's funny. I <3 the characters like Kitler and all them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am reading Maus. Basically in the introduction and chapter one, we are learning who the main characters are, and how the story gets started. I like how there's more pictures than words, and there's alot of subliminal messages you can pick up from those pictures. It helps me understand a little bit more, and does the mental imaging for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i think maus is really interesting in that its not boring like most factual novels that take place at the time.my first impression was that it wouldnt be that great because it was mice and cats as characters and that it was really cartoon-y, but i read some of it and it turned out to really good.i dont really have any questions about the book because its good, and all the scenes that are drawn are actually portrayed very well, especially when characters are moving or something.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My novel that I am reading is entitled Maus. So far we have met a few characters Artie, Vladek (his father), Anja (his wife from the past), and Lucia (don't quite remember her name but she was the crazy one that wanted to be with Vladek and wanted no other person to be with him). I enjoy the book so far since I have read graphic novels in the past this style is quite at home with me and I do not find it difficult to read or of quite a shock. My main questions thus far is where is our story going to its more about his past life then anything else so far (I'm talking about Vladek's past life since that is what the chapter 1 is reffering to.) Although I really enjoy the jump back between reality and the past it has pretty smooth transitioning so I'm not lost as to when they are in the present or when they are talking about years past.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't really like Maus so far because it's been uninteresting. So fare all that's happened is that one father dude got some girlfriend and then he found some other girl that he liked more. Then the first girlfriend went all crazy and spread lies or something. I don't really care too much for the romancy deception type stuff, it doesn't interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that THE BOOK THEIF is a very well written novel, because it uses dialogue and humor well with the rest of the story.I also think that telling the Holocaust from Death's point of view will make for an interesting story, especially as he is trying to be humorous. I think that I will enjoy reading the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i am reading the book thief.it ahs been interesting, at least so far. i thought it was going to be tis boring story of the Holocaust but it has been very detailed and it does not even seem like you are in a different time period. the author makes the story sound like it was going on right now. i acn't wait to read more and find out more interresting stuff that i didn't know about the Holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm reading Maus. It is interesting to see how the author puts together the format of the story. At first, I assumed it was going to be just like another novel, instead of comic. I do like how the characters are portrayed as mice, instead of actual people.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm reading the book "Maus" for the 3rd time and i LOVE it. i have never read a graphic novel befor because i hate animay (sp). But this one is so diffrent because it is true and historic and interesting (and not animay(sp)). I love the way that Vladek speaks english! it helps me think about how it was long ago and far away but people who went through this are here today

    ReplyDelete
  24. The "Book Thief" was kinda confusing at first. Then as I read on I understood it. I like the fact that it's narrated by death. It's an interesting book, and so far I like it. I want to know how Hans Hubberman escaped from death multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like maus because it has pictures and i like pictures cuz they are fun to look at and there is not a whole lot of words and they help me understand the words a whole lot better and it tells me what happened to the Jews in a fun way so i can actually pay attention

    ReplyDelete
  26. @ Seth: So the reason you like the graphic style is because it allows you to get an image of what is happening in the story without having to go to depth in thought

    ReplyDelete
  27. My first impressions of the book, was that it was kinda poorly drawn out but i guess that is okay concidering the time period, and that he was trying to make the story a tad more intresting by ,making the characters animals. what i have read so far in my understanding is that the boy (i forgot his name at this moment) is a graphic novelist and he wants to do a book about his father. his father begins telling his story about how he was young and in love and then has a love afair with another woman and then i think he goes back to the first at the end of chapter 1.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Book Thief has been an incredible read! I love Death as the narrator - the author's tone and voice are so unique and hilarious. Death - as the narrator - exemplifies a dichotomy: morbidity and life rolled into one character. The fact that Death speaks like a human and enjoys the colors of the world around him demonstrates the author's depth of wit and creative expression.

    ReplyDelete
  29. "Maus" is actually very interesting book to read. When I first saw the book, "Maus," I was didn't think "Maus" would be very interesting to read, but not I a, very happy that I got the book "Maus," because it is very interesting. I like how the author, uses the little boy and the dad, and in the book, the little boy is telling his dad that he wants to still write that story about his dad in World War II, when he has already writtten the book about his udad in World War II. I also like how the pitcures are drawn and how you read the book. "Maus" is just like a comic book, and that exactly how you read "Maus" too, like a comic book. I look forward to reading the rest of the book, "Maus."

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am reading "Maus". At first before i began reading it I thought it would be dumb, boring, and I would have to force myself to read, but after first few pages of the First chapter I was hooked I kept on reading until the end of chapter 2. The begining of the book in the intro was boring but once i started reading about artie and his dad talking about the times his dad was in for a comic book, i knew it would be awesome. I like how his dad was being alone and then this psycho lady came "lucia" after his friend introduced her to him. I have looked up textile and i still couldnt understand what it was the Valdek did for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i think its kind of weird that some of you havent read graphic novels before, but its a good thing that you are to that you can be exposed to all sorts of reading.but the thing i like most about maus is that it introduces the characters without really introducing them.

    ReplyDelete
  32. All the foreshadowing from death makes the story suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh by the way im reading "Maus". Sorry i forgot to mention that earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh i also like how the pictures are also with the words it helps me understand what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yes, it makes it a bit easier on my mind :P

    It also allows for alot of subliminal messaging, so you might catch some things that werent mentioned in the text.

    ReplyDelete
  37. That was @nastasia, by the way

    ReplyDelete
  38. i like it. it might not only teach us stuff. it looks like its gonna be funny and entertaning

    ReplyDelete
  39. haha 'the dukke' yeah it does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I hav like Maus (Mouse) so far because it's a graphic novel. But Lucia shouldn't hav written than letter

    ReplyDelete
  41. so far i really like the book thief (except for the German words that i dont know). i like way its written , some short sentences narratedby death that kind of ramble into an account of a past event nonrelated to what hes talking about, and the almost childlike demeanor he has. but ive only read through the first 80 oages and its already jumped through many different scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think that this book (the Book Thief) is awesome so far. I love that fact that it is narrated by death and how the main character is German. It adds a different perspective to a story we all know. I especially like all the German in the book. I don't really have any questions so far because the book does a fair job at explaining everything. All in all,This book is great.

    ReplyDelete
  43. The fact that Maus is a comic and has pictures makes it easier to read and understand

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is Johnathan...

    I enjoyed reading the novel Maus because it is exciting and I enjoy hearing about Vladek(i think that's how you spell his name.) story. So far, I have read all of chapter 3. In chapter 1 Vladek meets a girl named Lucia. She really likes him but he likes a girl named Anja.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I personally loved the book The Book Thief. It was interesting to have read told by Death himself. He is a fitting narrator given the time period, when many people are dying left and right. Death was in a busy time and he is taking time out of reaping all of the dead Jews to explain her story. Overall, getting to know the aspect of death and his own thoughts is nice. It was a great story as well when he started to tell her story. At first it started off slow, but as time went by it became exponentially difficult to put the book down. The German phrase scattered throughout the pages also help to form a good allusion to the time period and really acts to immerse you more in the adventures of Liesel.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I liked the beggining of the book and expecially liked the father Hans Huberman a lot. There were also two funny parts that I remember laughing at but I can't recall them now.

    ReplyDelete
  47. i really enjoy reading the book thief. it is quite interesting that a young lady can already stand up to powerful males in her life. i slso like that she is trying to learn to read. i also liked when she raced rudy and didnt want to be kissed by him if she lost.

    Why is Papa the 10% of the german population that didnt support hitler?

    ReplyDelete
  48. johnathan...

    Replying to Matthew
    I also think that Maus is easy and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am reading "The Book Thief", and at first, the story was hard to follow, but once I got to Part 1, I got a deeper understanding. I am reallyyyyyy enjoying this book. As I was reading, I noticed a lot of things and events that referred back to what I learned in Mrs. Yeatts class. I honestly thought the book was going to be kind of boring, but I was proven wrong. I am excited to continue my reading!

    ReplyDelete
  50. @ mormon u misspelled have u spelled in jave it confused me

    ReplyDelete
  51. @kaitlyna Do you like the short sentences by death? because I love them I think it adds character to death and background into some parts of the story you wouldn't be able to see normally.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I am REALLY enjoying this novel! The fact that The Book Theif is narratorated by Death is really interesting. I really like how Liesel forms friendships with the Steiner kids. I think the attraction between Rudy to Liesel is cute and hilarious. I really want to find out why Papa had that particular stare when he plays the accordian. I am confused when Papa takes Liesel to the Amper River near the concentration camp. Were they able to see the concentration camp from the river?

    ReplyDelete
  53. I agree with Kait and Szczepaniak :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. @ elain What book r u reading because i dont remember them in Maus

    ReplyDelete
  55. i like the german words; it kind of explains what they mean after it was said.

    ReplyDelete
  56. max..
    iiii like the short sentences because its not normally what you would see in novels, aaaand because they give Death a more natural way of speaking. not like in most novels where they're all formal and bleh. its not nearly as boring as i thought itd be

    ReplyDelete
  57. Mkay, I read the whole book (Maus)on Wednesday, so I know what is going to happen. I will not reveal anything about later on in the book. In the first chapter, it lays the foundation of characters so you get the story line that comes in later. It really sets the tone for how this story will be. All you need to add are the Nazis.

    ReplyDelete
  58. @Corey, I believe that Death is a very good narrator as well.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Ohhhh, I sooo didn't know that the narrator was Death! I was really wondering who he was...I even thought he was a Nazi O_o

    ReplyDelete
  60. @leah I was thinking the same thing about how they got married though they have very different attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  61. @Cas, a textile factory is where they make cloth for clothing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.