Friday, March 11, 2011

Modern Genocide

After watching the modern genocide videos, please reflect on the questions below.  You may answer one or all, but be detailed in your response.  Be sure to give thoughtful, respectful, and appropriate answers.  Respond to your classmates' opinions, and get a meaningful conversation started.

1)  To what extent have you heard about examples of modern genocide? 

2)  How can you relate your knowledge of modern genocide to the Holocaust?   

3)  To what extent do you think the common German citizen knew about Hitler’s Final Solution?  To what extent do you think anyone knew about the Holocaust?  

4)  Has access to technology and information changed the awareness of modern genocide?  

72 comments:

  1. 1. I knew about the probablems in Rawanda 3.If someone wasn't a jew then they probably didn't know about the holocaust

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1). I haven't learned much about modern genocide aside from the fact that it was happening in the 90's

    4) Yes it allows for information to be spread easily and like wildfire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I have only heard about the Genicide in rowanda but i didn't hear the un just left them to die. I hadn't heard about the other ones.
    2. The genicide in rowanda and bosnia were the holocaust in the way that the world turned a blind eye to them at the begining

    ReplyDelete
  4. Modern Genicide is like the Holocaust becase many people were killed by very racist people. a group of people killed other tribes in bosnia and other countries just like hitler did to the jews. many people were murdered and the coutries's history was ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucario I agree with your answer for #4

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1.) People killing Muslims in Bosnia. In Darfur, tribal warfare is going on and many people are dying. Another modern genocide example is the thing with the Hutus and the Tutsis. Tutsis were always known as the top class and the Hutsis were just whatever else. Then, when Hutsis rose up and took over, they made Tutsis suffer and it ended up in genocide. Whether or not it was intended.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the most modern genocide i have heard of was the violence in somalia by mohammed farrah aidid in 1993.the violence escalated to over 300,000 dead.the genocide was mainly done by something very simple,starvation.aidid would isolate the rival clans from all food sources until they were either all dead or had been absorbed into his clan.in the end,UN peacekeeper(mainly american) had to come in and helped.but once the main force left, it started back again.only when aidid was finally killed in 1994 did the violence slow and has almost come to a stop.but seeing as the clans in africa have always warred with each other, the end of violence is nowhere in sight

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matthew spelled Rwanda wrong and i agree with sam that a ot of the genocide happening seemed to happened during the 1990's.
    And i think that technology like satellites and stuff like that lets us take pictures from the sky so we can find out what is happening

    ReplyDelete
  10. Access to technology and information has changed the awareness of modern genocide greatly. Now that information travels faster, news of genocide can get around more quickly, which will obviously raise awareness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I had heard and learned about cases of genocide before our library lasson. The darfur genocide was one that I had seen alot about and I knew how brutal and sad it was. I also knew about the holocaust and that it was the biggest genocide in history. One thing I didnt realize though was how often these genocidal incidents actually occur and have occured.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The thing that suprised me the most was the UN left rawanda to kill itself

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1.) The extent to which I've heard of modern genocide was not in this depth. Before watching the videos all I knew about was the holocaust. The video on the genocide in Africa was very moving and I didn't realize that something that terrible had went on almost unannounced.
    2.) During the holocaust they targeted a specific group of people and put the blame on them for the harsh times they were experiencing. The modern genocide in Africa was similar but it was between two tribes and they already had a firm dislike for each other because that is what they were taught.
    3.) I believe that the German Citizens didn't have much of an idea of what exactly was going on. They were blinded by the belief that these people were the cause of all the suffering. They didn't think they were going to end up having mass killing but instead they were just going to be segregated from the rest of the population.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1.) i have heard of the muslims trying to kill the Christians. some people also think that the americans are trying to kill the muslims by fighting i Iraq and Afghanistan. another reason some people think that we should kill the muslims is because many people think that they are responsible for 911 and want revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. matthew, the holocaust is one of the MOST STRESSED events taught in Germany today, mainly because they never want something like that to happen again.so PLEASE dont say something about what you dont know about

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the common German citizen knew that something was going on, but didn't know what. Obviously you can't ignore every Jew around you being stripped of their rights and taken from their homes, so yes I think that they knew something was happening, but could not yet appreciate the magnitude of the happenings. The same goes for the rest of the world. Hitler went about the holocaust well and avoided doing anything too harsh, too fast, which is why I think the rest of the world thought nothing of it, until he started the mass murder of course.

    Technology today is more discrete and far more advanced than just rounding up a vast group of people and shipping them off to their doom. I'm sure there are many modern advancements that can conceal such a genocide just as much as Hitler did. However, I do believe that you can't hide it forever and that eventually someone will notice the genocide.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also didnt know anything about modern genocide. As far as I knew, It wasnt happening lately.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 2) How can you relate your knowledge of modern genocide to the Holocaust?

    Modern genocide is similar to the Holocaust in many ways. The mass murder of a group that is persecuted is related to genocide, the only real difference between genocide and the Holocaust were the methods that the people were killed and the different groups that were being persecuted. Holocaust is the mass killing and segregation of Jewish people while genocide is the mass killing of any group, in particular a group that is hated.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 3. To what extent do you think the common German citizen knew about Hitler's Final Solution? To what extent do you think anyone knew about the Holocaust?
    I believe that people thought it was peaceful deaths. I think that they thought that Germany just wanted Jews to be gone, not to suffer. What they didn't know is that the Nazi Party was killing and torturing people.
    I also believe that people around the world thought that the Holocaust didn't exist or it was overly exaggerating. What they didn't know is that they were probably under exaggerating.
    The US didn't know about the Holocaust that much because they didn't want to know. They wanted to ostracize them self from the World war.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also think it was cruel of the UN to extract troops from Rwanda

    ReplyDelete
  22. also, the government covers up most of the modern genocide.i know it seems hard to believe but its true.if you watch Shooter you would know, it may be fictional but that actually happens.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1) I have not heard about genocide or what it actually was (I thought it was about birds) until today so I could not exactly follow any type of modern genocide.

    2)Now that I know what genocide is, the Holocaust is more extreme and a bigger effect of it. It had more power in the country and supporters.

    3) I dont think the common german citizen actually knew what was going on inside of Hitler's head. They didnt think it would be this bad they probably just thought jews would be ran out of thier country and not actually killing them.

    4) Yes now the people know now what is going on and all the details of how it works. Now we have things that will have more current news abbout whats going on at the very time it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didnt even know that there had been any genocide going on before we wached those videos. I'm not really a person that keeps up with current events. So i havent heard anything about modern genocide. I think that the UN was stupid for taking troops out of Rwanda. Didn't they learn any thing from the Holocaust? I mean that was the whole reason that the UN was created in the first place!! And it's not like we didn't know what stuff was going on over there. We are in every one's bussiness nowadays! you cant do stuff like that and get away with it. especialy in modern society

    ReplyDelete
  25. I did not know that in Bosnia its was the Muslims getting Slaughtered by the Christians i thiught that it was the other way around. I was suprised to learn that in Rwanda the U.N just left them to die. I believe that it was like the Holocaust because that was what the Allies did to the Jews until the end of the war.

    IM A POKE-FREAK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We never really hear much about modern genocide. Just like with the holocaust and other previous genocides, the people who are doing it try to cover up the genocide, and other countries are always in disbelief and pass it off as a lie, so you don't hear much at all. Modern genocides are very similar to the Holocaust. People are persecuted then killed, maybe or maybe not for the same reason, but there is always a reason that one group hates the other and they try to kill the other.
    I dont think that normal German citizens really knew about what was happening, but with modern genocides, it seemed like more people everywhere would know. Americans during WWII didn't really know anyting about the Holocaust until the camps were liberated.Then everyone knew.
    With all of the new technology, can be more aware of the modern genocides, and if we use these new technologies we will be. Genocides are big news, so if you have a news network website as your hompage, the genocies will be the big headlines. Our school computers have MSN as the homepage. Thats how I learned that the last surviving WWI veteran in France died. We can learn about genocides the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree with Aaron in some ways, but I'm pretty sure that people knew what was going on in those concentration camps, death camps, etc. Information like that can't be concealed for long. (BOSS)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Honestly I have been pretty much in the dark about modern genocide. I didn't know it was happening or at least I didn't know specific examples. They all start out the same. A group of people are discriminated against and the conditions get worse and worse, until finally they are killed. I think that all the Germans knew something was going on, maybe they didn't know exactly what was going on but they know something was. With the technology these days you always know what is happening. Whether its an update on a social media site or a youtube video. you will always know what is going on in the world. Especially if it is something as horrific as genocide.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Leom, I think that it was necessary for the UN to extract troops from Rwanda to protect the soldiers from unnecessary harm.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @ Leom: I agree the UN is supposed to protect the rights of the people in other nations and keep the people safe it is what they were created int he first place to do. It was going against what they were set up for when they withdrew at the time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i dissagree with you night mare because they supported hitler they supported antisemitism and there were concentration camps all over germmany so unless you are completly oblivious to the world you woud no whats going on

    ReplyDelete
  32. 1. I do not usually watch the news or keep track at all so as far as recent genocide goes i only know what i've just watched a minute ago.

    3. apparently a lot of U.S. people didnt believe it was really happening. but in europe everyone knew. i think germans had a good idea what was going on. i guess german scientists had some major projects going that could have ended the war but when it was going down hill for them they were all mysteriously destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I don't pay attention to news much, so I know nothing about modern genocide

    ReplyDelete
  35. 1. The only real examples of genocide that I have been exposed to and heard about have been the things that I have heard in school. I don't really know much about this, because this is the type of history that I try and avoid learning about, but it is neccesary so that we don't repeat it.
    2. Genocide can be put into just two words, mass murder, or mass execution. The Holocaust was much like the modern genocide, they both single someone out and go after them. Both lead to horrible falls in the country or the economy. Either way, no one wins.
    3. I think that the German people new exactly what was going on out there. They may not have known every detail, but they knew enough to know that it was horrible and wrong. There was probobly some holes in the knowledge of this so they were not completely at fault.
    4. Yes and no. Even before there was much technology for communication, the rumors got aroung eventualy. The only difference is that they would get around a lot faster now.

    ReplyDelete
  36. (1) My knowledge of modern genocide and the holocaust coincide with each other. I hear from news sources that in 3rd world countries (Sri Lanka, Somalia) it still continues on today. (2) I know that people are slaughtered in bunches of millions of groups, taken out onto a field, and are yelled at to run across and die from exploding mine fields.
    (3) For the German citizens, a lot of them know what happened, since it's part of the history. For those that defy their own wrongdoings, the facts are known but they refuse to accept the facts. Millions of Jewish were killed, but would everyone be able to take that in? Nope. It's harsh, cruel, and very disturbing, but facts are facts and we have to face them.
    (4) Having easier access to technology has made the awareness of modern genocide better. We can make quicker actions than just waiting around until news comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think the Germans probably knew about the Final Solution or they had an idea of it; they just didn't want to believe it. Germans probably connected the dots with the events that happened and just didn't want to do anything about it because they were afraid. Most people were probably brainwashed anyways from early youth and listening to Hitler's speeches. Even in America or any other countries, people may have just ignored any rumors about it. Either way it was wrong and someone should have taken action.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I was told about the mass murder in Rwanda because I know someone who was there a few years after the main genoside With the holocaust the people probably knew something was going on but didn't realize the atrocity that was occuring under their noses

    ReplyDelete
  39. that's just like me haley. the only reason i knew about the other ones was from my dad being in the military and what aevery one around me has talked about, but the ones on the videos i had never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  40. 1) To what extent have you heard about examples of modern genocide?

    In 7th grade my social studies teacher taught us about different examples of genocide, the meaning of genocide, and the reasons for genocide in different places. We learned most about the genocide in Rwanda and Hutu and Tutsis. However, we also learned about the genocide in Darfur.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The modern genocide is like the Holocaust becasuse of the fact that they are mudering millions of people, placing them somewhere else, and seperating them from their families. I think that people today know more aout the genocides because of the modern technology that is spread across the world. The techonogy of today has made an impact on the knowledge because we have airplanes, cameras, video, etc to capture the horror of the people, and then they can play it on the news and ta-da the whole world knows. I think that the people of Nazi-Germany didnt really know what was going on other than the Jews in the Ghettos. I think this because they didnt have the technology that we have today so it took longer for the other people notice that people were disappearing and being tortured.

    ReplyDelete
  42. @andre I disagree with what you said. I think that they did not know the full extent of the holocaust until they actually got to the death and concentration camps. If they knew about it then WW2 would also be about freeing the jews

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you Assshhhrreee, I hope that if there is another massacre like this, the US should come and help faster than before

    ReplyDelete
  44. technology and information has changed awareness about genocide because as Sam said it spreads like wildfire. you can hop on the web and find out facts about the Holocaust that happened over forty years ago. Smaller countries it may be harder to find information but it will still be out there waiting.

    modern genocide is something i would not consider myself an expert in. however i would like to change that.

    modern genocide is similar but different to the holocaust because of the way people were tortured and killed. gas chambers vs machetes. everything has changed since the holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
  45. night mare you are right the UN is supposed to protect rights but it also depends on if the nations involved in the UN are willing and have the soldiers to go help

    ReplyDelete
  46. @ MaxSzczepaniak
    If you use those sites that you said you could get that info from, which i know you do, how can you be in the dark about modern genocides? there is too much info for you to not know something.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I believe that the access to technology has increased the awareness of modern genocide. With the use of internet and television, word spreads way faster than it did during the thirties. Although, most of the modern genocides are in small tribal countries and it can sometimes be kept private, people talk to much for it to be unknown. Just think of high school students and how quickly gossip goes around. This is very much how our world is. All it takes is for one responsible person to find out and spread the news. There are so many "big" countries in the world that can step in and help. Its almost like a big brother/ little sister relationship. The big brother countries are larger countries such as Great Britain, France, Germany, Spain, and the United States. We can help "little sister" countries such as Rwanda,Cambodia, and Darfur, by stepping in and saving peoples lives. Thanks to modern technology, genocide can be minimized.

    ReplyDelete
  48. @Will: All those who opposed what Hitler were doing were killed and so I agree they kind of had an understanding of what was going on but they didn't get the full spectrum of what was really happening with all the people dying. Although they didn't have to necessarily support him.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have not heard much about genocide recently. The only thing I have heard is about Rwanda. I do know that the reason why there are genocides has to do with ethnical issues. In both the holocaust and in modern genocides there were many people who died. Genocides
    are unnecessary, and can be normally prevented.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I agree with Ben in his statement that you don't really know about genocides and how countries (and you) don't want to believe that they happenning.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Number one: I honestly have never discussed modern genocide with anyone recently. Other than hearing about what's going on in other countries over the news, I don't talk about it; although, I do feel that I need to take it into consideration more often than I do now. It's a terrible thing that I'm interested in learning more about = )
    Number two: Modern genocide is much like the holocaust due to the fact that there were mass killings of many innocent people. They were controlled by arrogant, selfish, careless people who wanted total control. But there are also some things that are different, such as the fact that the purpose for them and the actual people that they were ridding themselves of. But genocide is genocide no matter who the victim/bad person is in the situation.
    Number three: I don't feel as if anyone was in the exact mind of Hitler. He was crazy, ruthless, and did as he pleased. The outcome was something that I'm sure no one had hoped for. I'm glad it's over.
    Number four: Yes, the media is very importante!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Aaron, I think the US should keep out of other countries business, the UN should aid them because it's their job.

    ReplyDelete
  53. @Haley we're not really the ones that are in everyones bussiness the UN is every nation therefore we are just trying to keep the peace as a worldwide thing. Although I agree they shouldnt of took the people out of Rwanda

    ReplyDelete
  54. technology has helped spread the awareness of genocide because of things like the telephone, where people can just call and lett people know. Also television helps by spread the word of the genocide to the people usally in ads telling people how they can help.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I actually haven't heard of genocide presently. I was aware of the ethnic tension in Africa, but I wasn't aware of the genocide there. I knew that foreign rule in Africa's past created divides between tribes. Now that I think abbout the divisions, it just seems logical that genocides have occured. I'm not saying it seems morally right, but it was bound to happen due to the desctuction and havoc foreign rule have caused. I think that genocide is horrible. The genocide that is occuring in Cambodia, Rwanda, Darfur, and Bosnia is a tragedy. The Holocaust arised from induced hate and anger. That is exactly why genocide occurs today. Modern genocide is the indirect effect of anger, grudges, and a strict vision of society.

    ReplyDelete
  56. nightmare of course they knew the full spectrum we live in america and heard about the full spectrum of what happened during the war

    ReplyDelete
  57. @Jeff- I mean, not to full detail but they still had to know what happened at the camps.
    @Aaron- I disagree. We should just let it slide.

    ReplyDelete
  58. @Will: But that's the thing they had the troops they were there already but then they decided to withdraw them instead of trying to help out before the mass slaughter of all those people.They could have possibly prevented the event completely.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I concur with Corey and his concuring.

    ReplyDelete
  60. @ Max: Yeah I agree that the ease of access makes everything quicker to know about. Even though some of us are in the dark and not know much about modern genocides it's still happening. It's just hard to find news on it sumtimes also.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I've never learned anything about any kind of genocide in school. I just learned today what a genocide was. The only genocide I have ever heard of was the Holocaust and I have learned nothing about the Holocaust except now.

    ReplyDelete
  62. 1. In Rwanda they have the Hutus trying to exterminate the Tutsies. I mean, that's pretty bad because you have what bascially is the Tutsie's version of the Holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
  63. @Ben When you don't want to believe something you tend to not pay attention to it. My reason is not really that but when I am on the internet I tend to stay focused on happy subjects or school work.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Max: I agree with you. I think Germans had to have known something was going on. I mean' all these people are suddenly just disappearing, how could you not notice that?

    ReplyDelete
  65. 3) To what extent do you think the common German citizen knew about Hitler’s Final Solution? To what extent do you think anyone knew about the Holocaust?

    I believe that only a few of the Germans knew about the "Final Solution". I think that only the ones that were involved heavily in the Nazi party knew much about Hitler's plans about the killing of ALL the Jews.

    ReplyDelete
  66. 1.) Before watching these videos, I have never heard of a modern genocide before, and it was really interesting watching what was going on in other countries without me hearing a thing abou tall the massacres going on in Cambodia, and Bosnia, and Rwanda, and wherever else there was modern genocide at.
    2.) Many of people were killed in both the Holocaust and in the modern genocide. Both people who were in the Holocaust and the modern genocide were put through terrible living conditions and put through horrifying experiments.
    I don't really think that the common German citizen knew much about Hitler or what Hitler was capable of or what Hitler had behind him. I think a lot of people first looked to Hitler as a leader who was going to help out Germany and to build back up the German economy. Hitler rose up during while Germany was being blamed for WWI. Hitler then convinced the people that the people did nothing wrong and that and that the Jews were to blame for the war. Hitler than was able to convince the government to limit and take away the rights of Jews, taking away the Jews rights to freedom of speech, press, etc. Then Hitler started rounding up Jews into ghettos and putting them into concentration camps. Over 6 million people were killed in the Holocaust. I really don't think people were fully aware of what Hitler was capable of or what Hitler was up to and what Germanys final destination with Hitler would be. I highly doubt that anyone would have ever thought that Hitler would ever do anything as bad as the Holocaust to Germany.
    New technology and information definetely helps increase the awareness of modern genocide. Now that people know what a genocide leaders steps that they take to make a genocide are they can watch out for a genocide leader and are able to stop the genocide before the genocide ever starts. Also now they are much easier ways to stop genocide with bomb threats and new technoolgy of weapons and war material.

    ReplyDelete
  67. A lot of these issues of genocide are very much like the Holocaust. They all seem like they stem from a power struggle within a certain specific group and related from past issues within the groups' pasts. As one group gains more power, the other grows more hateful towards them and tries to overpower them. They all lead up to war, depression, or starvation.
    This is the same way Nazi Germany and the Holocaust started, one group feeling hateful to another and a huge power struggle leading to the blame being pointed at the now minority.
    I havn't heard much about any of these events, even through the news. I've seen things like the civil war in Egypt, but that's not really a genocide, anything like Cambodia or Darfur have remained unknown to me until we watched the videos.
    With modern technology and access to world news a lot faster than we used to be able to, we shoulkd be able to find out about these issues a lot faster than we used to, but we still dont.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Johnathan Roach:
    1. I have not heard much about modern genocide. I knew that genocide was still going on in the world, but I did not know specific examples that I learned today.
    2.Modern genocide and the Holocaust are very similar. Many people are killed during these events. They are often caused by a leader saying that a specific race needs to be destroyed.(racsism)
    3. I do not think that the people in Germany knew about the Final Solution. I think that they thought that making the Jews wear the Star of David and carry papers was not a big deal. Then I do not think that they knew that they were killing all of the Jews.
    4.Yes, through the technology and information that we have today, modern genocide is not as easy to do because if someone makes a specific group of people wear a symbol that tells you that your apart of the grouop, then we will know that you might be trying to seperate this group from everyone else, so that you can kill them all.

    ReplyDelete
  69. 1.)My dad described the genocide in Bosnia in the 1990s as a heck hole, using different words. He was a CW2 then.
    2.)Both killed hundreds of thousands of people of a certain culture/religon/physical characteristics/etc. as well as their own people.
    3.)The common German citizens probably were not given access to that information. They probably thought the were just separating the Jews from the Aryans.
    4.)NO. People hid the Bosnian genocide for a little while; and that was 15 years ago! People don't change: only their surroundings do.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I never really went into detail learning about genocide. The holocaust and the genocide were similar. People were neglected, mistreated, and killed. I don't think german civilians, thought the holocaust would be as horrible as it was. Since things happened little by little, it wasn't to the extent where people were like wow they're heartless. The Nazis always had something negative about the jews that would allow them to be mistreated. I think technology has definately changed the way we see things. Were able to learn things quicker. Were also able to look at pictures and actually see how hard these times were.

    ReplyDelete
  71. I never really knew a lot about modern genocide; although, I knew a little bit about what was going on in Rwanda. I just knew that there was a crisis going on and people were dying. Modern genocide is similar to the Holocaust. Families are and were seperated from each other and killed. I don't think the German civilians knew about everything that was happening to the Jews during the Holocaust. they may have known that the Jews were being mistreated, but I don't think that knew that there was a MASSIVE killing of the Jews. New technology, I think, has helped a great deal with the awareness of genocide. We can communicate with other countries and not have to even be inside the same country. With more people finding out about the genocide, more people can help put an end to it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.