Wednesday, August 31, 2011

English I - Ideas for Using Class Blog

Hello, Freshmen!

This post serves two purposes.  The first is to make sure that everyone is able to reply to a post on our class blog.  The second is to brainstorm some ideas about how we can use our class blog for more than just assignments. 

Be creative and start a conversation - how can we use this blog space to learn but still have fun?

Looking forward to reading,
Mrs. Davis

57 comments:

  1. We can use blogger to post debates on anything about school, whether it be school work, to homework, and even the school itself. We could also possibly make a subtopic for stuff not involving school at all. Blogger is going to be used less than Edmodo because there isn't as much information as there is on Edmodo, but if we post homework for the day or week, people will start using Blogger even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could use blogger in other classes and possibly use blogger as a Socratic seminar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can do our normal blogging way, but maybe add some fun topics to blog about. Like we could blog about armadillos and how they can swim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we should have like a topic of the week or month or something. Something controversial that people like to talk about and discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We could use blogger to communicate with our freshman challenge groups to better our organization.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Videos, cause i think of nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that we should use Blogger in class and have more homework due through the computer (If we can get on the blog at home on these computers).

    Also, if we get really into a discussion into class, it could be continued on the blog more often after school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We could have a word of the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we can take notes for those who are having trouble for their assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off, it would be nice to actually be able to use it at our houses. Second, I have to agree with Tyler. We should have random Socratic Seminars on Blogger. We should have open ideas on stuff we want to do in class. We say alot of stupid and ridiculous stuff in class that we talk about only to get us off topic (Mrs. Fleener's 6th period). It would be fun to continue the craziness on blogger so it can be a little break from all the schoolwork while doing schoolwork. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jacob Along with the videos, (Off topic somewhat), but we can debate the reality of the video, such as viral Youtube videos and UFO sightings. -.-" Just an idea ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe that you (Mrs. Davis) could share certain things that you are or were not able to share in class. Such as an interesting (English related) video that you were not able to show due to it being blocked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogger should only be used to continue any debates that we started in class. I can think of no other use that this sight can give us EXCEPT for sharing information between our peers on a project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blogger could be used to share information outside of class as others have stated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The blog is good for continuing class debates, but it could also be utilized as a way to update the student body about information concerning ongoing projects. On the other hand, we would then have to either be notified in class or check the blog frequently. Class notifications would defeat the purpose of a blog unless we were short on time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Specifically, a thread can be made for ideas that do not pertain to English but we feel should be shared.

    @Sara Feistamel: Armadillos are known to spread leprosy

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I believe that we can use Blogger for more than just regular school assignments. While we can use it to do Socratic Seminars or discuss homework and projects, we can also use it as what others use blogs for. To get everything out. Maybe you have an idea for something fun you wanna do or even just something you did you wanna talk about. You can blog about a vacation you take or something cool you learn to share with other people. This way instead of taking up class time, we can tell our stories here. That way people can go back and give information to someone such as their parents so that they can maybe check out what you were talking about. But make it school appropriate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Christina
    The word of the day should be ZUPHERUFULUS.

    I think that we could use it for the next freshman challenge, to either talk to our group members or even to other groups for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think blogger is most effectively used to continue socratic seminars. However, I think there could be a better system for debate. Two separate posts should be created, one for each position. Evidence and arguments can be built up in these posts. After an ample case is built up by both sides, Mrs. Davis can create another post for debate. This system would allow each side to address all of the other's points so that nothing is lost deep within the comments section.

    ReplyDelete
  20. we could use blogger as a way to communicate with challenges that way if someone in our group cant get together for some reason they always have a way to stay in touch and do some work. we could also use these for Socratic seminars to discuss back and forth our opinions and such. i agree with quade i think using this blog for other classes would be a good way to help twist together classes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love if the school announcements would be posted on here because I cannot hear the morning announcements in the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. we could use it to remember homework and continue socratic seminars we started in class

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, one idea I have is to log on to the blog on Fri. and share what we did over the week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now that I think about it, we don't even need Blogger. Posts on Edmodo could accomplish the same things that Blogger can (as in group discussion) while at the same time allowing for what we currently use Edmodo for. Personally, I believe Edmodo renders Blogger obsolete unless there is a function that I am unaware of.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Me personally, i think that we could use blogger for many things. I think that the turning in assignments over edmodo(really, what if your internet shuts down, there goes a big chicken egg in your gradebooks.) is a really bad idea. i almost got a 0 on the transatlantic slave trade paper. We could really use blogger to post more socratic seminar things, post the weekly homework, have brainstorming for some things we could do in class, debates, help with projects, we could just talk and connect with others, message of the week, and we can use blogger to ask questions over blogger. DO AWAY WITH EDMODO! my thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  27. ① I think we can use blogger to express opinions closely related to topics discussed during class, and/or school as a whole.
    ② We can respectively and punctually state facts and opinions related to topics from school, or ones that the teacher may want us to reply about after school.
    ③ We can also bounce ideas off of each other and basically have an online class discussion.
    Like for projects and classwork in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  28. True Chris I kind of don't like having to remember to log on to do an assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. we could also use blogger to help bind some classes together. we haven't done much binding together as i was told in middle we would have everything connected almost all the time. this could help solve that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the idea of sharing, because I want to know what everyone did that week.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think we could use blogger as a sort of agenda for the day. I think if we posted homework it would be easier to not forget or be late on homework.

    I also think that we could use blogger to help with the future freshman challenges. I think it would be easier to have all of the requirements and expectations on one organized site.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think we could use the blogger as a way to come up with ideas for the challenges. another way we could use blogger is so we could ask teachers and students questions about topics discussed in class that can be carried over outside of class.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agree with taylor. we should talk about sacratic seminars and post ideas for anything that we think of. whether its an idea for an group assignment or helping other people with their homework or maybe have a complaint of something that you don't get or the reason for it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. i actually like Caitlin's idea about expressing things like people do on a blogger i think it would give everyone a chance to bond and listen to other s and in some cases even help out maybe. really you don't even have to do that just being able to tell someone somethings that's been on you chest would be a very good reliever especially with all our peers.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Duncan I thought we were using edmodo for all class chat(s).

    ReplyDelete
  37. In my point of view i think we could get homework information from other class mates, or we could do what most people want to do like. continueing socratic seminars or even come of with a topic to talk about that is school related. But do not bring any drama.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well we will see who's idea(s) will be taken into thought by Mrs. Davis so... Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  39. this blog could deliver more efficient versions of discussions. It wouldn't be loud and people wouldn't argue as much. statements could easily be accounted for.

    ~M.L.~

    ReplyDelete
  40. We can use it to exchange ideas and learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  41. By using edmodo, we can successfully put dates on a calender, but by using our blogger accounts, as STEM students, we should be able to "discuss" questions through a sarcratic siminar style, or maybe even discuss new ideas about freshmen challenges. (forgive me for my poor spelling)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I agree with what Jonathan said. I think the Freshman challenge would have gone a lot better if all of the rubrics and such were posted in one place for all of our classes.

    I'm not sure if we are going to be doing a lot of writing or not in this class, but we could use blogger to post our rough drafts or just copies of our work and get feedback from our peers. I don't know about other people but speaking for myself I like knowing other peoples opinions about my work before I turn it in for a final grade.

    I really don't have any other ideas for using blogger because this is the first year I've incorporated electronic sites in with learning in class. (:

    ReplyDelete
  43. I think that we could use this blog for other classes because everyone has something to say and this space shouldn't be limited to just one class. I think that we use this like edmodo but for sessions because we always can continue something we start in class.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I agree with Caitlin, we should use blogger for Socratic seminars and freshman challenges. We can use it just to have a conversation about any topic. It's called blogger, so we should be able to talk about anything, from school assignments to random facts. We should also use it for homework updates and assignment due dates, since some people do forget to write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  45. We can use blogger for class discussions that where not completed in class. We could have a topic of the month that we discuss through blogger, and later in class. We could also use blogger to communicate with our freshman challenge groups. This is a unique study tool that can used with edmodo to make our lives easier.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  47. We can use the blog to help each other with like homework if they forgot it. We could also use the blog for class work.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. Socratic seminars, different assignments,word of the day, random posts with random topics, thinking of different projects, random facts we would like to share, class discussions, a different study tool, and all of that are all great ideas of how we could use blogger for English.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I completely agree with Josiah. That would be a very good way to use blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  50. i have no idea what we could do for fun so we could use it for homework and stuff but thats what edmodo is for so i dont really have any other ideas for the blog...

    ReplyDelete
  51. I also agree with Josiah, its seems like a better use for this site than just homework.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I think that Blogger should still be used. If every single one of us posted on Edmodo, the amount of traffic would be ridikilus.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.