Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Decision Matrix - Teaching Grammar

Reflect on each of the following:

1)  Compare using a decision matrix in Engineering Design versus English class.  How was the process similar/different?  Does the matrix work better in one discipline than the other?  Could it work in other classes as well?


2)  Prescriptive versus Descriptive Grammar -  Which understanding do you agree most with or prefer?  Which style has been used by your past teachers? 

100 comments:

  1. 1. Both are awesome, becuz it makes everything easier.

    2. DESCPRITIVE!!! IT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i said its awesome becuz you have more freedom and its more funner, and i've not never been very good at grammar with my repetitive redundency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say that descriptive is better because it is using a language or part of a langauge that everybody uses and is still sometimes considered proper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. using the descision matrix was about the same in both classes ,but i think it is more relevant in engineering because it seems to help more in their
    2. i think descreptive is the better one to use because it is more relevant to the way peopole talk and think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. You had to write yes(2) and no(1) to answer questions or choose a correct answer. It could work in other classes as well.

    2. My total came out to:

    PRESCRIPTIVE:11
    DESCRIPTIVE: 10

    Descriptive has been used in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say that decision matrixes are useless in any other subject than engineering because in things like english, it just says what is better, which is like others, but in english it is just common sense. And it is just about the same, to do these things, but matices should just be in math.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But Uhmm Antywayz . . .
    Thee Decision Matrix Works Veryy Well In Both Areasz .
    Theyy Both Aree Designed To Help You Makee An Appropriatee Choicee On Anyy Topic .
    Thee Differencee Wouldd Be Thee Varietyy Of Purposesz Andd Choicesz You Have .
    Andd I Feel That Descriptivee Isz Better Due To Thee Fact That You Can Be Yourself Andd As " Incorrect " As You Choose . My Past Teachersz Wouldd Agree .
    - Blogg Yha Laterr .!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. It could probably work in Science when comparing how well a certain scientific instrument works. Like microscopes. ovo
    And I think it works in both cases, but I like English more than Engineering, so English wins. 8D

    2. Descriptive because it supports the idea that English does in fact change over time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) In both classes, we used the decision matrix to decide which option of two was better. In engineering, we used it to decide which solution was the most practical, in English we used the decision matrix to decide which of the views of prescriptive and descriptive grammar is better. I think it could also work in math, to decide which formula, or which approach would work better in order to solve a problem. I think we could also use it to compare events in history, such as "which war had the worst results".

    2)I agree with prescriptive grammar more, because when reading it, it seems the most logical. I think thats because most of my good english teachers have always used Prescriptive, when teaching, because thats how i have been taught to understand grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) The process was similar because in Engineering Design, we got to do the matrix in the same way as we did in English. It was different because in Engineering we got to think of our own constraints to choose which puzzle we used.

    2) I think that Prescriptive Grammar would be better. It is an easy way to learn the language. You learn it with repitition which would make people remember it better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The decision matrix could work in any class, it was basicly the same as it was in engineering. I agree with both decriptive and presricptive, because proper writing can be understood by everyone as "adapted" language may be confusing to certain people. Desriptive allows for change, making slang or vernacular-like language possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. In engineering, we used it more for comparing objects or deciding what we want to build & how we want to build it. They were both similar because it both helped make a decision and there was this/that questions. It worked well with both. Yes, I think it could work with other other classes too like geometry. It can help decide what method to use to solve an equation.

    2. Descriptive. Learning everyhting before can get confusing and you might forget important information or rules. It's better to learn along the way. I believe past teachers have mostly used prescriptive. I guess it led me to HATING grammar because I forgot a lot and made many errors in essays or other formal writing. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. i think we should do more debates like the one i made

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would say that decision matrices are used differently in each discipline. In Engineering, the answers are much more concrete and objective. In English, the totals are much more subjective. They are not meant to represent right and wrong - they are meant to consolidate a lot of information and to answer a complex question. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. they are both basically the same to me. the only difference was the yes/no thing instead of 1,2,3, or 4. yes i think you could do a matrix in any class. In STEM anything is possible.

    2. Descriptivology is what I choose. I think you should wright the same as you speak. that way noone can say you don't use voice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Will you need to use proper grammer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't really like grammar. To be honest, i am not sure anyone could enjoy grammar. It is soooo boring and has to many rules (with acceptions). In one way, we really should learn it. Without grammar, things can be misunderstood or not make sense. We need to learn grammar so we look/sound smart;).

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1) In Engineering Design, I think the process was alot easier because we were allowed to use our own criteria. We were also allowed to choose the rating scale. In English, it was a little more complicated to me. It became easier though because the criteria in the scale were in the articles word for word.
    This could possibly be used in ther classes, but it would depend on what the subject and assignment is. For example, we could probably use it in Mrs. Moore's class because it's science.
    2) I agree with the Desciptive grammer because it is more up to date. Grammer has to change when more words come along. In the past, my teachers used both. Some of my older teachers, as in age, used Prescriptive. My younger teachers tend to use Descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If we do more debates then will would just win constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How could we make grammar more fun?! Think, people, think! I'm hoping to teach all I have to through your own writing and our reading in class, but I want to hear your thoughts and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm serious. You could teach it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. we can play in class games with grammar like passing a ball and when you catch ms davis asks a grammar question and you answer

    ReplyDelete
  23. You guys are a mess, go home and eat pie.I really don't know how to make grammer fun. Sorry Mrs. Davis!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1. Has the advantages of teaching us the grammar we need for a formal world

    2.Has the advantages of being easier to learn and it evolves along with the people using it

    I prefer number two because it eases you into the language instead of throwing you into it headfirst

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1. Both Compared Stuff, :) &d Contrasted.
    2. Descriptive Is Awesum Cuz It Says Ya'll ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I rather be in a desciptive world, if we are used to talk in a certain way, then i dont think that it is fair for them to change our ways

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like desriptive cuz if we dint have it thin we culd not talk any way we like want to talk. GRAMMER iz not fun
    ]




    POKEMON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think the decision matrix will work well in just about any class.
    I prefer descriptive grammar, but I was taught perspective grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Aaron Our Ways Change All Duh Time,?

    ReplyDelete
  30. 1. the decision matrix was pretty similar in both english and engineering. the both had the basic format. the only thing that was different about the two was that the subject was different one is focused on the articles of english and the other one was focused on the engineering project.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 1. Both are very similar and are a great tool to use when you can't decide on something may it be a project or a topic to write about.
    2. I perfer using descriptive since language is ever changing! Just compare old english to the english we use today!!! There is so much that changes and learning english by a set of specific rules is not the way to go. Since the English language is forever changing as I stated before. I highly dislike the way teachers teach grammar by reading out of the book ( prescriptive ). It would be so much better if they would use descriptive grammmar.

    ReplyDelete
  32. 1) I don't like using decision matrixs (sp?). I don't like comparing things using numbers, I'd rather use words to help me understand.

    2) I prefer the descriptive method because it lets you get loose XD NO RULES! I haven't really been taught grammar, we were always just told to sit down and write when I was taught grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  33. 1. The decision matrix really only works in engineering. In anything else the views are mostly subjective, so nothing can really be obtained by using it.

    2. I prefer Descriptive. Its easier to learn and eases you into the language instead of teaching you all of "the rules" before you can do anything with it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. 1.) I think the decision matrix works better in engineering, because its more relevant; I dont really like using it in any class though.

    2.) I think descriptive writing is better, I think your voice is stronger when used.

    ReplyDelete
  35. 1.I think it could be useful in other classes depending on what's being studied and what the criteria if it has some weird complicated criteria that we don't get or didn't make up then it's useless.

    2.I think descriptive is better because it doesn't have strict rules that nobody really likesand also it's more up-to-date and even though we've been taught it isn't correct so what,it makes more sense to the younger generation and that's how grammar should be,matching the current generation.

    ReplyDelete
  36. By the way this is Nastasia for those who don't know xD

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think that it is different from in engineering because in english it was more about opinion than fact. in engineering it is more about fact. The decision making matrices really just don't work on opinions because the answers the questions on the X axis may be different. Otherwist it was quite siminnlar to when we didi it in engineering

    descriptive is deffinitley better. there is no way I am always going to write in a formal language all of the time. I think I would die If I had to do that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. 2.my opinion is that i use descripitve. i just seem to like that much better.

    ReplyDelete
  39. (1) The matrix can be for any of our classes. Mostly because when it comes to major projects/reports/papers, we can use it to decide one topic from several ideas that we have and need to narrow it down.

    (2) Descriptive is better to use. As the dynamics of language grow, the speech is changing. It's changing, and we'll need to catch up.
    Past teachers use prescriptive method and i think it kinda sucked. I guess its because in elementary school, you'd have to have some grounds of common use with everyone else. With your teachers and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  40. 1. i think that they work pretty equally. you do the same thing with both in that you are comparing 2 different things.

    2. i prefer descriptive because i am not very good at grammar so i like when you can do a little thing wrong and people can't tell.
    my teachers usually like prescriptive because they wan't us to know everything there is to know about grammar, but sometimes that is not really possible.

    ReplyDelete
  41. 1. I think the decision matrices works better in egineering, because you actually need to do the decision matrices, to see what material is better to use. In english, i just basically say what i agree with, and I don't tthink I need a decision matrices to decide which one is better.
    2. Descriptive has most defentitely been used in the past. I agree more with descriptive. Descriptive is more like our normal type of writting or the way we speak, and you don't have to worry as much about all the grammar, which is what i like about that. Also, with descriptive, they want you to know all there is about the language, which is also good.:)

    ReplyDelete
  42. i agree with u, its much eaiser 2 use descriptive

    ReplyDelete
  43. I agree with Seth...numbers only belong in engineering!

    ReplyDelete
  44. 1) i think that the matrix worked best in engineering because that is wat iv was designed for. you could use it in science to describe calls.

    2) in school we r tought to use prescriptive writing but that doesnt matter because we go home and start useing descriptive again.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I think that the decision matrices work in both engineering and other areas, it can help make decisions based on opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I agree with "The Dukke" the number scale like 1-4 should be used when comparing 2 similar things, but the yes or no scale could and should be used in every class.

    ReplyDelete
  47. 1) I think that the Matrix works better in Engineering because it's more relevent. Like, the Engineering topic gives a rank scale and a yes/no scale.

    2)I prefer descriptive because it allows you to use voice your way in your style, and voice makes writing sooooooo much better. My writing would suck if I had to write prescriptively. My past teachers were mostly using prescriptive just because they had to. I'm sure they prefer descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  48. the decision matrix is simular in engineering and english because they both compare multiple things to find out which one is better. They differ because one talks about which is a better process to use to make something and the other talks about which writing style is better. Yes it can work in other classes.

    ReplyDelete
  49. mine came out
    prescriptive:11
    descriptive :13

    Most of my teachers have taught me prescriptive style. as in, I mess up a rule. I get it wrong.
    I would like to be taught descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I like the English Matrix better than the engineering one because your class is better! the english matrix is sooooo much easier and is sort of more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  51. true it can be used in english and engineering but u can use it in anything. It doesnt have 2 b school

    ReplyDelete
  52. 1) Both are comparing two things but grammar is more subjective. you might Be able to Use it but it depends on what your learning.

    2)I like descriped alot better. Its More free and its not all about the writing itself but what you are writing. I had a teacher last year that Used Perspective and ITs Just BLAAHH. its so boring, i dont see how people Can stand it.!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I thought the decision matrix was better in engineering because it was used for a more decision based process and therefore easier to use

    ReplyDelete
  54. i prefer using the decision matrix for engineering because it makes more sense to me. like what andre and haley b said. i think it's more revelant. you always can use it in other classes but for math i dont see how that would work.

    i also prefer prescriptive because i like solid rules not things that change over time, though i do believe in evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  55. In engineering and English the decision matrix are both very similar. They both are used to compare different two or more different types of things.Perscriptive writing is more formal and this is how I was tought in previous years by my other English teachers. Descriptive writing is more informal and it does not matter how you say something. (multiple ways)This is probably what you would use when you are talking to friends or family members.

    ReplyDelete
  56. i like descriptive grammar better because it's less formal. I dont want to be bothered about stuff that nobody cares about when im writing and its for a grade.

    ReplyDelete
  57. TheDukke said...
    I agree with Seth...numbers only belong in engineering!

    September 28, 2010 9:29 AM

    may be sarcastic but numbers also belong in math

    ReplyDelete
  58. Elanie,
    I see where your coming from in the soild rule thing it makes everything easier but then again you have to remember alll those rules.

    ReplyDelete
  59. the decision matrix in english was similar to the one in engineering because they compared and contrasted ideas allowing you to make a decision on which idea or product is better. they are different though because you take different things into consideration such as cost, precision, and more physical matters for engineering and writing styles, topics, and ideas in english.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Johnathan, how did u ever get tought this before. i was in pass and they didnt teach that. i guess my teacher wasnt as good

    ReplyDelete
  61. I agree with ben I mean If Im writing and trying to get my ideas out I don't want to be bothered with what I'm writing being incorrect even though it is how everyone talks

    ReplyDelete
  62. The decision matrix definitely worked better in Engineering. In english its too subject, as Mrs. Davis said, and is dependent on your own opinion. Anyone class can use the decision matrix since, essentially, its just a decision making tool, and I can't think of a class that has not had you choose one option over another.

    I prefer descriptive writing over prescriptive because with descriptive you have more lee way and its less strict. My teachers have always made me write while learning rules, like sort of practicing it with repetition.

    ReplyDelete
  63. @ ben w. i care about grammar. linguists care about grammar also. so not everybody hates or dislikes grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I meant that my past teachers have taught me how to write formally.

    ReplyDelete
  65. 1. the decision matrix is a good way to compare two things that have some similarites, but its difficult to use if theres some points about the topics that are unclear.

    2. i like descriptive writing better than prescriptive b/c it adapts to how people speak nowdays and let you bend the rules more than prescriptive. prescriptive is also a set-in-stone way to use grammar and can be a pain in the arse if you dont completely understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Descriptive Rules!!!

    It would be messed up if we had to stick with the same grammar rules from hunndreds of years ago.Saying " May I have a cheeseburger instead of a hamburger?" could sound like "Hark, fair maiden of lunches. Woulds't thou prefer to spare thy the plains't of plain and dub thy the honor of receiving cheese on thy's burger of ham?"

    That would be weird.

    ReplyDelete
  67. <--hates grammar
    <-- forgets his periods

    ReplyDelete
  68. hailey, remembering things isnt hard for me so maybe thats why i like prescriptive writing.

    ReplyDelete
  69. I agree with Adam about the matrixes being the same for deciding which ones better, but for Engineering we tend to use numbers for rating instead of the yes/no in English.

    I like descriptive better than prescriptive because you learn the rules as you need to use them instead of learning some jank English rule that you'll probably never use. My 7th prage teacher used prescriptive grammar and I haaaated it! She spent the whole first semester talking about how to diagram sentences and why it's the way that it is instead of teaching it to us as we needed it. Oh, and her "fluffy stuff"! She kept telling us to leave out the "fluff" and focus on the basics. That was the worst year of English ever!

    ReplyDelete
  70. see! i forgot them right there. prescriptive ftl.

    ReplyDelete
  71. elaine, people care about grammer. but do you really talk with proper english all of the time. I write how I talk, its fun that way. I don't want to deal with cumbersome rules weighing my writing down

    ReplyDelete
  72. max,
    i have to say i disagree because you have to be more accountable with the things you put in the decision matrix for engineering. you have to think about how it will turn out in the long run....the BIG picture. in english you can think about the present and if you have to fix something its not as hard.

    ReplyDelete
  73. max the people that talk with proper english realllllly annoy me!

    ReplyDelete
  74. I agree with max, proper grammar is useful, at times.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Im indifferent sometimes its boring sometimes its not

    ReplyDelete
  76. Think about audience, purpose, and form (in both writing and speaking). How does grammar change when you change your audience or purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  77. Agreed with Corey and Max, I only use it as nessecary.

    ReplyDelete
  78. @ amber, i remeber that. mrs paulin was crazy and diagramming sucks. but it helped me learn the parts of the sentences. but after about 2 weeks it was just repetitive. so in a way i like descriptive also.

    ReplyDelete
  79. but see we dont have to worry about grammar in this class as much as we had to in say Mrs. Lyles >.> thats why this class is better :D

    ReplyDelete
  80. I agree with Corey that the English decision matrix is opinion-dependant. In Engineering, it's pretty obvious. It either is or isn't with no in between. In English, most of the questions are partially yes and partially no.

    ReplyDelete
  81. writing and soeaking with prescriptive grammar can make you sound like a robot; drowning out all the personality and emphasizing the spelling, structure, and other aspects of grammar that have dwindled out of the way we speak and communicate over time

    ReplyDelete
  82. max i may not talk with proper grammar all the time. but i do try to. i prefer. improper english drives me insane.

    ReplyDelete
  83. 1.) I think that both of the Matixes (sp?) make things easier. You're comparing two or more things to each other to see which one is better. It differs because in English, we're only using the 1-2 scale. In Engeering, we use the 1-2 scale and the 1-4 scale. I believe that the Matrix will work in other classes as well.

    2.) I agree with the Descriptive Grammar side because it gives me room to really write without worrying about always being wrong. Most of my teachers in the past have been Presciptive. They all wanted grammar to be the traditional way; no changes, exceptions, or anything like that. They didn't take the time to analyze my paper and then decide if it was 'proper or improper', they were just quick to jump and 'red-mark' my papers.

    ReplyDelete
  84. concerning mrs davis's question i think it all depends who the audience is or what point your getting across. you wouldnt right an amazing formal essay for kindergartners.

    ReplyDelete
  85. @Mrs. Davis

    your grammar changes with your audience alot. If you write to a friend, you will be less formal that if you write to a professor

    ReplyDelete
  86. @Imani

    You made a good point about "older" teachers versus "younger" teachers. How does the generation affect grammar?

    ReplyDelete
  87. Older seem to use perspective while young tend to use the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Older teachers are more likely to teach the "old fashioned way" (O.o?) which is to say that they prefer to follow the rules set forth I suppose. They will probably teach like they were taught. Now I'm not some time traveler but I'm going to make the assumption that English was taught more strictly back then, the reason I say this is because , once again I assume, slang and cultural words were integrated much less into older life, unlike today. "Younger teachers" today prefer to teach descriptive (assumptions, assumptions), since today teachers see that there are so many variations and rules. There are too many to count, so instead of taking the time to teach each student every rule, they can learn as they go. Enormously more efficient in my eyes. lol I feel confused, half way through typing I thought, "What am i trying to say again? I forgot." so yeah. might be off topic or not answer Mrs. Davis's question.

    ReplyDelete
  89. I would like to use descriptive writing, but my teachers from the past taught me to use prescriptive writing, so that is the one that I use more.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.